Architectural route

Get to know our history by following this architectural route Discover the architectural route by scanning or clicking on the QR codes.

1. Town Hall.

The Town Hall or Casa Consistorial is located a few steps from the central Plaza del Valle de Tena.

It is a two-storey building, built in stone in the style of the traditional architecture of the town and its entrance is preceded by a small courtyard surrounded by an iron gate.

In this courtyard there is a life-size statue in honour of the giant of Sallent, Fermín Arrudi.

2 - Mentidero.

Situated on Francia Street, where the Camino Real (Royal Road) crossed the village, it was a meeting point and a place for conversations and comments among men. It is a small, original, open construction, facing south, with stone walls and a small roof framing a semicircular arch with a wooden frame. Inside, there is a stone bench.

3 - Casa y cuadra González

González's house has two storeys, with a façade to the east and a typical Tensina doorway decorated with a vase of flowers that seems to have been painted yellow. The keystone shows the date 1834. The González stable is an old hermitage with a heart of Jesus on its northern façade with the date 1788 under an arched window.

4 - Casa del Reyno.

House located in the Vico neighbourhood, horizontal building with three floors and east facing façade. Tidy openings and large shutters. Classical semicircular arched doorway, with the Martón family coat of arms and the date 1781.

The door is linked to the first floor window by the coat of arms, and is distinguished from the others by its curved lintel. The third-floor window is also linked to it by a stone decorated with mouldings, dated 1821, recalling the reconstruction of the place after it was burnt down by Napoleonic soldiers. Tensina nailed door with ovoid knocker.

 5- Peirón de San Antón.

It was formerly located at the entrance to Sallent, on the road from Lanuza, but was moved due to the construction of the reservoir.

Mainly the peirons warned of the proximity of the village. In times of snow, when the roads were indistinguishable, they served as guides as they were located on all the roads that converged in the village.

They had a double function as they also had a devotional character.

 6 - Casa Socotor.

Two-storey building with a restored façade to the east. Façade with the classic vase and symmetrical scrolls and the inscription "F. A. YEAR 1870". Lintel in segmental arch with decoration in the keystone.

 7 - Casa Gandillas.

Three-storey house, restored, in Calle del Vico. Old Lanuza family coat of arms, oval and inverted, embedded in the wall. Windows with notches in the lintel. Lintelled door with relief on the keystone. Ashlar stone with linear incised decoration and the inscription 'J. V. 1871'.

9 - Iglesia de la Asunción.

Declared a Historic-Artistic Monument, it was built in the 16th century by order of Juan de Lanuza, viceroy of Aragon, on the primitive Romanesque church of which only the doorway remains, decorated with the characteristic chrism.

Its architect was Juan de Segura in 1525, and Bernat de Berbedé from Béarn was in charge of finishing the work in 1538.

Late Gothic in style, built in masonry and reinforced by buttresses, it consists of a single nave separated into two bays, each covered by a star-shaped rib vault. The chancel is illuminated by four pointed openings and is covered with a beautiful vault. It is decorated with gilded wooden fleurons and eight Calatrava crosses. It has a polygonal apse and a choir loft at the foot.

One of the jewels of this church is the main altarpiece, dedicated to the Mysteries of the Rosary, sculpted by the famous Florentine sculptor Juan de Moreto. It is in the Plateresque style but is still organised in the Gothic style, with five aisles, three floors and a predella. It consists of sixteen panels. They depict various scenes from the life of Christ. The altarpiece was finished in 1537, when D. Juan de Lanuza had already died, and was brought from Zaragoza by mule to Sallent.

In the sacristy, the calajera, a popular inlaid cupboard made of walnut wood with boxwood inlays, from the 17th century, stands out. We also find the parish cross, a masterpiece of gold and silver gilt work made by Lorenzo Martón from Sallent, who lived in Saragossa, in 1551.

On the right wall there is a 15th century Gothic chapel, the Chapel of the Rosary, where we find the image of the Virgin of the Snows. The capitals of the embouchure arch and the corbels that support the vault represent mythological themes (centaurs, mermaids, birds, angels), with very elaborate details. On the left wall we find the chapel of the Virgin of Pilar with the image of this virgin, as well as those of Saint Anthony, the Virgin of Fatima and the Virgin of Carmen.

The bell tower is an old strong tower, the prison tower, with three sections, which belonged to the ancestral home of the Sánchez family. It seems to date from the beginning of the 16th century and still preserves the high door, with an incised shell, and two loopholes on the south side, at the height of the bells. On the first floor there is a latticed window whose lintel depicts some masonry tools and three fleur-de-lis.

10 - Casa Renot.

Two-storey building with horizontal development located in Zarrastiecho square. Main façade facing east. Regularly distributed openings. Doorway with decorated jambs and keystone with vegetal motifs, dated 1853. Nailed wooden door and ovoid knocker.

11 - Casa Menín.

Three-storey building located in Zarrastiecho square, with a large gallery at noon and a south-west façade. Large grey stone doorway with a semicircular arch. Decorated keystone and ashlar with the inscription "JOSÉ ORIETE. MENÍN. 1825" between plant motifs flanked by two symmetrical scrolls. The base of the jambs is well worked with sexifolia decoration.

12 - Casa Félix.

Two-storey building located in a small square in church street. On the main façade, facing south, there is a voussoir door in a depressed arch with sculpted sun wheels in the central voussoirs. Curious moulded window with faces at the ends of the lintel. Both the door and the window could date from the 16th century.

13 - Casa Caperán.

A unique building of medieval origin and Gothic style. It is a two-storey building with an L-shaped floor plan. The most notable features are its beautiful openings, including the pointed doorway decorated with a concave moulding and several moulded windows, one with a gothic notch.

14 - Casa Chicoy.

Characteristic house-courtyard with a marked agricultural and livestock function. Large entrance gate to the courtyard with magnificent door knocker. Patio paved with a pattern. On the eastern façade, stone doorway with a segmental arch with a heart in the keystone. Inscribed: "DON J.M.URITA. 1841". The wooden frame is visible between the masonry in the barn above the stable. A large central doorway finishes off the façade.

15 - Ermita de San Juan.

It was built in 1602, and the date appears on a window in the lower part. It was rebuilt in 1697, as stated in the inscription on the doorway. On the south wall there is a large ogee-arched window with a double moulding and sculpted figures representing a fleur-de-lis, the bars of Aragon and a circle, associated with the coat of arms of the Sánchez family, and a wolf, in reference to the López family. The garden door, with a double concave moulding and a pronounced Gothic peak, comes from another building. Today it is a private home.

16 - Casa Don Jorge.

Two-storey courtyard house with a marked horizontal development, built in dark, unrendered stone, with a round-arched doorway decorated with three mouldings. The arch connects with the window on the first floor. There is a large coat of arms with the Martón family coat of arms between two plain ashlars that connect with the upper balcony. Two-leaf wooden door with quarters carved in concentric circles and a traditional knocker. There is an annexe with linteled openings and a magnificent doorway. The courtyard gate is made of wrought iron.

17 - Casa Lucas.

Large three-storey house with a square floor plan. Beautiful four-sloped roof topped by a weathervane, with a small skylight on the north side. North-facing façade. Lintelled openings, except for the door, which has a semicircular arch. Balcony on the upper floor. Coat of arms with the Martón family coat of arms and stone benches on both sides of the entrance.

18 - Puente del Paco.

Medieval bridge over the river Aguas Limpias over which the old Camino Real crossed and which, in its day, gave access to the Paco neighbourhood. Pilgrims on the Pilgrims' Route to Santiago de Compostela from the French Way and the Gabás Hospital used to cross it. Its importance is due to its proximity to the Portalet border crossing. With a slightly pointed arch and a double-slope road, it has a span of about eight metres and approximately four metres of arrow. This bridge was built by the Guipuzcoan piquero Juan de Barrabica around 1567, replacing the old wooden bridge.

19 - Casa Bernet.

An ancestral home of minor nobility whose volume and coat of arms stand out. Rebuilt in 1998. The doorway has a semicircular arch and above it, embedded in the wall, is the coat of arms of the Bernet family.

There is a book still kept by the family, explaining its history and the coat of arms. It is quartered, in the first quarter, in a blue field, there is an armed arm with a silver sword and a golden hilt and above it a star of sixteen golden rays. In the second quarter, on a field of gules, a silver castle with three towers, door and windows of blue. In the third quarter, in a silver field, a mulberry tree with black fruit and at the foot a standing black bear. In the fourth quarter, in a field of blue, a fleur-de-lis of gold on crags and two golden ears of corn coming out of the fleur-de-lis. Below a ribbon held by two children, on which in gold letters is written: "De los Bernetes".

20 - Casa Martón.

Large four-storey manor house, well restored, with south-facing façade, double-pitched roof and good constructive elements in openings, skylights, gallery and shutters. It has a front garden. It has a large lowered arch doorway with the coat of arms of the Martón family.

The Martón surname was originally Marta. Represented by two martens. During the conquest of Teruel in 1171, a captain fought so bravely that King Alfonso II changed his name, as Marta had feminine connotations. He also added a bull to his coat of arms, also represented in the coat of arms of Teruel.

21 - Torre Casa Martón.

It is perhaps the oldest building in Sallent, which could date back to the 14th-15th centuries. It reminds us that Sallent was a fortified town in the 16th century.

This is the tower in which Juan Martón, leading the Sallentine minor nobility, bravely resisted the invaders from Béarn in 1592. Reduced in its original height, it still has a walled door and a Gothic twinned window decorated with ogee arches and imposing arrow slits. Both on the lintel of the door and on the mullion of the window there is a bull, the emblem of the Martons, and several loopholes.

22 - Romanesque triple arch.

This triple arch, dating from the 10th century, comes from the village of Castiello de Guarga, where it was half buried by the ruins of the church. Thanks to Ramón Sainz de Varanda, Jesús Ansirenea and Mariano Fanlo, then mayor of Sallent, the bishop of Jaca, Angel Hidalgo, authorised its transfer and donation to the town of Sallent de Gállego in 1973.

This triple semicircular arch is an example of Mozarabic Romanesque, a simple but very original monument because nothing similar is known in all the religious architecture of Serrablès art. It has perfectly cut ashlar stones, smoothed with a pointer on the north access side. On the other hand, at the back, the ashlars are a little rough and rough, with a less well cared for workmanship next to the fountain. From there, the church and the Peña Foratata can be seen in the background. In the central arch, which is larger in size, is the Chrismon placed in its semicircular tympanum, finely carved with its six poles. There are eight chrismons in the Tena Valley, but the one in the Plaza de Sallent is the most original, as it has the Alpha and Omega poles, asymmetrically placed vertically.