This village belongs to the municipality of Sallent de Gállego. It is in the heart of the Pyrenees, on the left bank of the reservoir to which it gives its name, where the waters of the river Gállego are dammed.
It is located at an altitude of 1284 metres. It has a population of around 40 inhabitants.
Its existence has been documented since the 13th century and in 1488 it already had 20 homes. Together with Sallent, it formed one of the three historic "quiñones" into which the Tena Valley was divided administratively. Lanuza is also famous for having been the birthplace of nine justices of Aragon, among them Juan V de Lanuza.
The construction of the Lanuza reservoir in 1976 led to the forced depopulation of the town until it was completely uninhabited in 1978. In the 1990s, the former inhabitants managed to recover the properties that were not submerged and began a process of recovery that is still active.
We find the church of El Salvador, built in the 19th century on the site of an earlier Romanesque church that was burnt down during the War of Independence and of which a chrism on the doorway is still preserved. Reopened for worship, it treasures among other works of art a silver reliquary dated 1557 in which the remains of Santa Quiteria, patron saint of the place, are exhibited.
Lanuza's oldest and most deeply-rooted traditions have also been revived in recent years, especially its fiestas. The festival is held on the last weekend in August in honour of San Roque and Santa Quiteria. A highlight is the performance of the Palotiau, a masculine dance between shepherd and warrior in which the dancers make wooden sticks clash with each other.